8 Ways to Cook / Eat a Bison Burger
While I love a classic cheeseburger, made with good meat, a little seasoning and just a bit of ketchup, there is a whole world of possibilities when it comes to making an amazing bison burger. I've collected some of my favorite ideas and recipes for you here. Give them a try, and let me know what you think!
REMEMBER! When making a bison burger, the key is not to cook it too fast or too long. Aim for medium or medium rare. If you go to well-done or medium well, your burger will probably be chewy and lose a lot of it's good flavor and juiciness.
1. Sun Dried Tomato & Basil Bison Burger – This was one of my favorite recipes from our 31 Days of Bison campaign last July. This burger uses spinach (one of my favorite healthy add-ons to most meals), sun-dried tomatoes, a creamy sauce and some subtle seasoning for a delicious flavor combination. The recipe calls for cooking your burgers over the stove top, which makes it a great way to enjoy a burger outside of grilling season. However, this recipe will easily translate to cooking your burger over the grill if that's what you're looking for.
2. Avocado Bison Burger – Avocado is another ingredient, I've just fallen in love with lately. It's creamy texture and sweet flavor make it a wonderful addition to sandwiches wraps, and yes! bison burgers. Use this recipe to add a layer of wonderful avocado to your next bison burger and feel good knowing that each of the ingredients used for your burger are fresh!
3. Bison Burger with Spinach and Chipotle Mayo – If you're looking for a simple idea of new toppings for your bison burger, consider this recipe for a bison burger with spinach, cheese and chipotle mayo. It's an easy recipe with great flavor!
4. Spicy Bison Burger – If you're a fan of spicy, this may just be the burger for you! We add a slice of pepperjack cheese, jalapeños, chipotle mayo and an array of seasoning to give this burger a bit of a kick!
5. Honey Garlic Bison Sliders – Bison has a slightly sweet flavor anyways, but add a bit of honey, and you're in for a treat! These honey garlic bison sliders are a great choice for serving at a tailgate, party or other events, or just when you're in the mood for a smaller portion of bison burger!
6. Greek Bison Burger – Our Greek Bison Burger is another result of our 31 Days of Bison campaign. Combine your next bison burger with an array of mediterranean flavors, feta cheese and a yogurt sauce for a unique flavor combination!
7. Bison Sliders with Blue Cheese Gremolata and Onion Jam – This recipe comes to us from a local chef. I tried these sliders at a cooking competition I judged after we donated some bison to the event and this entry was amazing! These sliders were perfectly complimented by the onion jam and blue cheese and I wish I could have eaten several more helpings than my judging amount allowed!
8. Classic Bison Burger – I'll leave you with the classic bison burger because you really never can go wrong here. Add a little bit of our Bison Steak & Burger Seasoning and grill. Top it with tomato, lettuce, ketchup, cheese, mustard, onion... whatever it is you enjoy. My suggestion: serve it up with some homemade sweet potato fries!
One final tip: Don't skimp on the buns. Get a good quality bun that can hold a big, juicy burger. And if you really want to make it great, toast the buns with a little bit of butter on the inside and a bit on the top.
We want to see how you are enjoying your bison burgers. Post a photo of your bison meal on Instgram and use #NebraskaBison. It may even show up on our website!