My 7 go-to Bison Meals for Every Day Cooking
1. Bison LasagnaThis is one of my favorite recipes – in part because I don't have a large family and this recipe makes a large lasagna that also makes great leftovers! It's a (fairly) easy dish to make that requires only a little prep work and then I usually serve it up with a nice salad and/or garlic bread for a full meal.
2. Bison Pot RoastAh, the Bison Pot Roast. If you've been following this blog or our social media channels, you may know by now that I LOVE bison roasts. Seriously. So, of course this has to make it onto the list.
I cook my bison pot roast at 225*F in a covered roasting pan with a little bit of water in the bottom for 5-6 hours. When I'm lucky, I'm able to add in some bison bone broth for an even richer flavor and more tasty au jus or gravy when it's done.
After cooking the Bison Roast, I can then use it for any of a variety of meals:
- Roast Bison & Potatoes
3. Cast Iron Skillet - Bison Top Sirloin & Bison NY Strip SteakHere in Nebraska the grill is shut down for around at least 1/3 of the year. Although I love grilling steaks, in the winter time, I love using my cast iron skillet for my steaks.
Here's the full post with instructions for cooking the Bison Top Sirloin in the Cast Iron Skillet.
And below is a video walk-through for doing the Bison NY Strip in the Cast Iron Skillet.
Although a steak dinner may not be an "everyday" occasion, I include it in this post, because I often like to use a single steak to stretch out a larger dinner. After cooking, these can be sliced and used as protein for things like salads or fajitas rather than a full on steak dinner.
4. Bison BurgersOf course this post would not be complete without including Bison Burgers. Here are some links to my favorite Bison Burger Posts and Recipes:
- 8 Ways to Cook / Eat a Bison Burger | View Here.
- 6 Spectacular Ways to Season your Bison Burger | View Here.
- Bison Burger Inspirations | View Here.
- 39 Topping Ideas for your Next Bison Burger | View Here.
5. Bison ChiliBison Chili has to be one of the easiest meals on this list. And it is so so good in the fall and winter months!
Here's my video recipe for an easy bison chili:
6. Bison MeatballsMeatballs. Yes, please! Whether you're looking to go the spaghetti and meatballs route or a little something else, I have several recipes for meatballs:
- Porcupine Bison Meatballs | View Here.
- Savory Oven Roasted Bison Meatballs | View Here.
- Bison Meatball Sub | View Here.
- Easy, Cheesy Firecracker Bison Meatballs | View Here.
7. Bison EnchiladasAnd finally, Bison Enchiladas. I make this dish at least once a month, served up with Mexican rice, salsa, chips and guacamole if my grocery store has ripe avocados. My recipe makes these enchiladas both cheesy and saucy.